Hope everyone is having a great holiday break! To help fill my newfound leisure time, I lugged my Kenmore sewing machine 300 miles back home to LA. The first order of business was a pair of armwarmers or fingerless gloves, because it's been super cold and I was struck by inspiration when I saw this rather sweet black and white rose print against an old lavender scarf that a friend gave me. Lavender was once my favorite color (and still is one of the faves).
It was one of those, a-ha, why didn't I think of that before kind of moments. When I saw them together I knew what I had to do.
I started by making the ruffle for the trim. That was straightforward, just some careful measuring, ironing, and sewing with a very long stitch before pulling the thread to make the fabric bunch up.
Then, the pattern
. I looked up a bunch of glove-making tips online but couldn't really find a good pattern for fingerless gloves. So I modified the guidelines set forth in this very helpful step-by-step demo
of how to first make a pattern, then construct a pair of costume gloves (the ones here are gorgeous!).
I screwed up the pattern-making, as I did not account for the fact that my arm is about 9 in. in diameter at its thickest, and I didn't cut enough fabric. I had to add scrap pieces to make up the difference. The first part of the construction wasn't so bad, but then I found the thumb extremely difficult to attach--I had to do it by hand, and I still don't like how it fits... there is some extra room in the fabric that I could probably take in a bit.
Oh well. A decent first effort, I say. I have to figure out what I'd do differently next time... definitely work with a different fabric because that fake acrylic I used from the scarf kept falling apart.