My roommate and I, like, can't stop watching. Just a few thots:
- Few things I've seen in the games so far can match the wondrous beauty of the China women's team doing synchronized diving. It's like they are one person in two bodies. Also--I'm happy Mexico landed a medal. I was rooting for them too.
- Michael Phelps talks like he's got cottonballs in his mouth. My roommate, "he never closes his mouth, and it's not like he's singing along!"
- We've been arguing about who's cuter. She thinks Ryan Lochte (I think she's nuts) and I think Michael Phelps, despite his teeth.
- The US women's gymnastics team is sooooo seeeeeeeeeeeerious. They alternate between concentrating so hard they forget to smile, and looking outright pissed off. A far cry from the sweet earnestness of Mary Lou Retton in 1984 and the playful perfection of Dominique Moceanu in 1996 (yeah, all her vids are up on YouTube). I wonder if they could have done better if they had lightened up a little!
- I can't help it, I really wanted China to clinch the gold in women's gymnastics, mostly because it's their home turf and because it was such a great follow-up to the men's team last night. Plus, they are all so darn cute! Little doll-girls! And they brought a lot more personality and fun to the floor exercises and such.
- Lastly, I just noticed (though I am denser than most) that silver medalists never seem that thrilled about it, but bronze medalists often are. I realized this is because silver medalists are upset because they were in contention for the gold, while bronzes are usually just happy that they medaled at all. How funny!